Kellen Mathews advises clients on complex litigation matters in Louisiana. He has defended clients in products liability, education, construction, commercial and personal injury matters. He also defends employers in discrimination claims at both the administrative and federal court levels. Kellen uses his employment litigation experience as the foundation to advise employers on the creation and revision of policies and procedures that ensure compliance with the law and in turn reduction of exposure for the employer. He has tried multiple cases to verdict, including obtaining a defense verdict in a jury trial in federal court.
Kellen also focuses a considerable portion of his practice on helping clients navigate the highly nuanced procurement protest process. He assists clients in industries ranging from health care to insurance in challenging or defending the award of government contracts. In this practice area, Kellen navigates the intersection of administrative law, government and litigation.
“ I take ownership of a client’s issues. I take them home with me, and am constantly thinking of how to achieve the best result for the client. I pride myself on being accessible to clients, and I work until the matter is resolved. ”
- Paul M. Hebert Law Center of Louisiana State University, J.D., 2008
- Millsaps College, B.A., 2004
- Louisiana Supreme Court
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
In the community, Kellen is a board member of The Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank, which assists more than 130 charitable agencies in Baton Rouge and 11 surrounding parishes in feeding the area’s residents. In 2018, Kellen joined the Executive Committee of the board for the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank.
Kellen serves on the associate board of City Year Baton Rouge and, since 2015, he has served as a member of the host committee for City Year Baton Rouge’s signature fundraising event, the School House Rock Gala.
- Louisiana Rising Stars® (by Thomson Reuters) Civil Litigation: Defense 2016-2019
- Louis Berry Award – Louis A. Martinet Legal Society 2016
- Best Lawyers® – Commercial Litigation
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Louisiana State Bar Association Young Lawyers Division Council, At-Large Member (2012-2017)
- Louisiana State Bar Association Young Lawyers Division Diversity Committee, Chair (2012-2017)
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), Member
Kellen interned for the Honorable Terri Love in the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans and, following law school, clerked for the Honorable Harry F. Randow in the Ninth Judicial District Court for the Parish of Rapides.